Wednesday 20 August 2008

Learning By Counter-Example

I briefly considered not posting this until tomorrow and thus getting the day off, but I decided that that would be cheating. I didn't want anyone to feel like they weren't getting their daily fix of SpaceSquid. That would just be terrible.

Anyway, feast your eyes upon the results of the 2008 Bulwer-Lytton contest. Basically, the idea is to write the worst opening line to a novel possible. And that's it.

Some of these are inspired. Others try a little too hard to construct the most ludicrous pun possible. But the best are the occasional one where you can't be sure the author actually meant it as a joke. I mean, I guess they must have, since they entered it into the competition, but still, some of these are disturbingly plausible.

I shall have to give some thought about entering this thing next go-around. Perhaps I shall trial some of them on the blog. Or perhaps I'll put up some of my actual stuff, and then pretend it was for BL when you jackals tell me it sucks.

Man, this daily update thing is easy. Tomorrow, I shall upload content whilst simultaneously cooking an omelette.

Please use the comments thread to explain how to cook an omelette.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just had an omelette for my tea, fyi. It was cheese and tomato.

Because I have some eggs that need using soon, later in the week I will make another one of a different variety. Truly, I could pass Omelettes 101. Whatever that is. But whatever it is, it's probably best not to confuse it with Room 101. That would be messy. Messy and sticky and eggy.

P.S.
I await the day someone opens a book with "fyi".

With dread.

SpaceSquid said...

Eggs! It's all coming back to me now.