Monday 23 February 2009

Worst... Sins... Ever

I would very much like to see the statistical method used here. Were people asked to rank in order of preference? Choose their top sin? Were they given these seven choices, or did they just ask in more general terms and try to divide the various responses into categories. “Near constant onanism? That’ll be lust. Unless you do it in front of a mirror, I guess.”

Or was something more complex involved? A questionnaire on the subject would probably be good for a fair few laughs. “Is chocolate lip-stick a device for seducing men like the whore you are, or simply a delicious between meal snack?”

There’s also the issue of sample choice. I can’t imagine you’d get very far standing in the street and asking people what the thought was most plausible reason for them going to hell. How am I supposed to take the proclamations of the Catholic Church seriously if they don’t come with experimental information?

Anyway, all that aside, it’s not really like the results are particularly surprising. Lust and gluttony come top for men? I’m not sure we always even make the distinction. Not that we want to eat the flesh of comely wenches, or anything; I’m just saying that the first man to invent a hot-dog that can fellate you is going to get pretty rich.

Also, who knew people were so disinterested in greed? Or is it that the credit crunch has become so gargantuan in its hideousness we're not even interested in owning shit any more?

h/t to Rising Hegemon (LOSB).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It says it was based on a study of confessions; presumably it wasn't really asking questions of respondents so much as ticking boxes whilst they poured their hearts out on the other side of the mesh.

SpaceSquid said...

Well I hardly think that's particularly scientific.

Anonymous said...

No, but I love the idea of priests all over the world sat in their booths, glumly ticking off sins with each new confessional as if it were some kind of stock take of humanity's failings.

Perhaps they arranged them in a grid and played Confession Bingo to make it more enjoyable.

Anonymous said...

Didn't claim it was scientific. You were wondering about the method though, and I think it's the most likely probability; your other suggestions kind of compromise the whole anonymity and personal initiative elements of confession.

And as Pause says, it's quite a nice little image; I saw it as Seven Deadly Singo in my head as well...

Anonymous said...

(and yes, I do realise the other methods you toyed with weren't particularly serious either...)

SpaceSquid said...

You're not getting any better at working out when I'm kidding, are you ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I can do it in person!

... bloody internet and its lack of body language...