Monday 13 April 2009

Booze; Diplomacy; What Could Go Wrong?

Came across this story in the Observer yesterday, about the pub that's divided between Slovenia and Croatia.

It strikes me as a bit of a shame that a pub has to be guarded by both sides, and yet none of them ever have a cheeky pint at lunch together for fear of starting a war. Not that I'm suggesting all complex geo-political disputes can be resolved over alcohol, you understand, but having spent three weeks in Slovenia I can't help thinking their border patrol at least are forgoing their heritage in not spending their coffee breaks chugging Union pivo.

Oh, and in point of fact, Slovenians and Croatia have fought a war, right at the start of the break-up of Yugoslavia, but it only lasted ten days, since the Slovenians just wanted to be left alone and the Croatians had much bigger problems.

Update: Jamie points out that I managed to spend the entire post writing "Serbia" instead of "Slovenia", which makes absolutely zero sense, since I've only been to the latter. Clearly my week away has led to a greater degree of head-mushing than I had realised...

1 comment:

jamie said...

You say Serbia a few times when I think you mean Slovenia...