Tuesday 12 October 2010

Crisis In Infinite Pages

Chris B and I will be recording our podcast on Crisis On Infinite Earths tomorrow evening, but here's a brief summary of my feelings on the book.

When I was eleven years old, I used to like sitting down with a pencil and a blank piece of paper and, realising that there was never any chance of me being able to draw anything alive, start drawing as many spaceships as I could. Inevitably, it would turn into a gigantic interstellar fracas, with ships from every source I could remember blowing seven shades of space-shit out of each other. It didn't matter that they came from different shows or films, it didn't matter that it made absolutely no sense that the Borg would join forces with the Empires both Cylon and Galactic. It just had everything in it, and everything is cooler than less than everything. Witness:

(Yes, not all of the ships above were actually around in 1991; but they're a lot prettier than a lot of the ones that were. Also, the version of this picture that's on my hard-drive is fucking awesome, but the bullshit Photoplus program I have refuses to adequately export. I hate it).

Anyway, that's what Crisis is. 360 pages of someone wanting to draw every hero and villain DC have ever created, and have them punch each other for no fucking reason at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'360 pages of someone wanting to draw every hero and villain DC have ever created, and have them punch each other for no fucking reason at all.'
Isn't that describing every comic event ever, regardless of company?

SpaceSquid said...

There is some truth in that, though most recent crossovers at least try to make some sense regarding who is or isn't involved. You don't get the Joker happily signing up to Braniac's Infinite Alliance of Infinite Evil so that he can help conquer a bunch of Earths.