Wednesday 14 September 2011

The Ivory Tower

I love academia.  So far this week I have:
  1. Been asked on a Sunday afternoon to rewrite a section of a paper with a deadline of Monday afternoon;
  2. Spent Monday morning writing the changes only to discover the paper was submitted first thing that day, without me being told;
  3. Discovered that the woman responsible for cleaning and providing the data has left some mistakes in the data - or at least, in the 33% of the data I currently have - and has then gone on holiday, despite the deadline for having the full set ready for me being the end of this month;
  4. Found out the deadlines have been changed in an email I was never sent, and now involve me analysing the full data set in the next two weeks.
And this is all just one project.  I can't begin to tell you how screwed up my research programme is right now...

1 comment:

Midget_Yoda said...

I feel your pain; I got back from a conference last week to discover that a paper had come back from the referees with a two week turn around on re-submission. But I won't get the new data to analyse until tomorrow night. And it needs to be analysed by Monday to fit it into the revised manuscript.