Saturday 31 October 2015

The Best Laid Plans Of Squids And Men

So I had originally decided that there was no way I was going to attempt NaNoWriMo this year, what with a full teaching schedule during the day and multiple blogs to curate in the evenings.

But then Alisdair Stuart pointed me to SF Swaps on Twitter, re-tweeting the suggestion that NaNoWriMo could be done by using the website's prompts to generate 50 stories of 1000 words each.

That sounded like something I could do, allowing me to steer clear of the bog I fell headfirst into last time somewhere around the 5000 word mark.  All I needed was a framing story, which I know the bare bones of, and I was good to go.

So, then.  The aim is for me to put up a 1000 word story here each day, along with pieces of the framing story.  Depending on how involved that story gets, I'm unlikely to write 50 stories over the month, but we'll see what happens.  This will inevitably mean that I won't be blogging much about other subjects over this period - unless I get something stuck in my head that needs levering out.

I'll be spending most of today running my eleventh and final Halloweenapalooza, so I can't guarantee this will start until the 2nd due to hangover issues, but I'm hoping you all will at least get some enjoyment out of it.

Update: I'm plugging away at this, but the first framing piece is currently approaching 3000 words, hence why nothing is up yet. It should be done before long (perhaps even tonight) and I can start chipping away at the good stuff.

No comments: